Massage Therapy and MigrainesAuthor: Massage Heights
Anyone who has suffered from migraine headaches knows how disabling they can be. From light and sound sensitivity to nausea, the symptoms that accompany this chronic condition can be incredibly debilitating for normal life. If you or anyone you know has lived with the crippling pain of migraines, there may be relief in the form of massage therapy. For many people that are living with migraine episodes, massage can help alleviate the pain and even reduce the frequency of these mind-numbing headaches.
How Massage Therapy Combats Migraines
Migraines can be caused by a variety of factors, making it difficult to find a form of treatment that works for everyone that sufferers from this illness. However, there are common traits that are linked to the onset of migraines that massage therapy can help combat, such as:
- Lower serotonin. Lower levels of serotonin are believed to be linked to migraines. Massage therapy can help increase serotonin levels, not only lifting your mood, but also relieving migraine pain.
- Tension relief. Massage therapy, especially head massages, have been used to relieve tension, which helps to alleviate migraine pain. This tension relief often occurs immediately during a massage session.
- Easing pain signals. Massage therapy is used to reduce pain for many illnesses, including migraines. Some types of massage release pain-easing chemicals that help to reduce the pain signals to the brain, which is also believed to reduce the amount of future migraines.
Although clinical studies on massage therapy and migraine pain are limited, there is some evidence that massage can help migraine sufferers. In a 2006 study published in Annals of Behavioral Medicine Magazine, a small group of 47 people with migraines showed that those that received massage therapy as part of their treatment had reduced migraine episodes. They also reported better sleep during the weeks that they received massage therapy.
Can Massage Therapy Help With Your Migraine Pain?
Every person with migraines may have different triggers that can cause an episode, which is why these severe headaches are hard to predict and treat. However, massage therapy may be a viable option to manage your illness and improve your quality of life. The good news is that massage offers many other benefits beyond pain relief, including:
- Reduced stress, depression and anxiety
- Improved circulation and oxygen flow
- Improved muscle recovery and joint flexibility
- Enhanced immune system
Massage therapy can have a positive impact on your health in many ways, including reducing the pain and frequency of migraines. As with any therapy, talk to your physician about adding massage as part of your migraine management if they have not already suggested trying massage to alleviate your migraine pain.
Our Licensed Massage Therapists have helped many of our guests reduce their migraine pain and frequency of attacks. We see how massage positively effects our guests every day, which is one of the reasons we love what we do. If you suffer from migraines, adding massage to your routine may be the solution you have been looking for! Request a Reservation today and experience how massage can improve your wellbeing.