The Healing Power of Touch
February 05, 2019posted by Massage Heights
Healing the body through touch: Who would have thought? In fact, a massage therapist can help promote wellness, as numerous studies prove how physical touch positively impacts both physical and mental health. A skilled masseuse not only helps relieve tension, but can help improve your quality of life.The physical benefits of massage therapy include:
- Stress relief: It isn’t just mumbo jumbo. A tense body causes mental stress, and releases the well-known stress hormone, cortisol. Overproduction of cortisol can contribute to weight gain, sleep dysfunction, gastrointestinal distress, and headaches. Massage therapy can effectively reduce stress and reduce cortisol levels in the body. Stress reduction helps relieve anxiety and improve your mood as well. Regular massages can boost energy levels, reduce anxiety triggers, and alleviate depression.
- Improved circulation: Do you have cold feet and hands? It could be due to poor circulation, and this can cause a wide range of problems. Because good circulation helps the healing process by delivering oxygen-rich blood to any parts of the body in need of repair, massage therapy can effectively promote healing of the muscles.
- Improved range of motion: If you’re recovering from surgery or have sustained a traumatic injury, you know what it’s like to suffer from stiffness and discomfort. Poor range of motion can make it difficult to carry out even basic tasks due to stiff muscles, but also unhealthy tendons, ligaments, and muscles. Massage therapy can help improve your flexibility and strengthen muscles.
- Strengthened immune system: As mentioned before, stress is unhealthy and can manifest physical symptoms, making you more vulnerable to illness and injury. Regular massage therapy sessions have been shown to reduce anxiety, as well as having a direct impact on the immune system. Regular massages can improve your ability to fight off diseases and stay physically and mentally strong.
- Reduced pain levels: Pain medications and other traditional methods to relieve pain are dangerous and can lead to addiction, not to mention these drugs are often costly. Massage therapy releases endorphins, which help kill pain and promote a sense of wellbeing by increasing the pleasure hormone, dopamine, as well as the serotonin hormone, which improves mood. For many, massage therapy creates a natural high as it produces mild feelings of euphoria.
Contact Massage Heights for a Relaxing Appointment
Suffering from stress, discomfort, or stiffness? A massage therapist can help you achieve total relaxation. If you’re looking for a relaxing retreat from the daily grind, consider a massage at Massage Heights.
To book a relaxing appointment with one of our massage therapists, please click here to request more information.